Mono County Courthouse
After a survey of state boundaries, in 1863 citizens of Mono were alarmed to learn that their county seat, Aurora, lay three miles inside the Territory of Nevada. It was reported that upon hearing the news, the presiding judge immediately closed the court and announced that he would try no further cases there. Voters selected Bridgeport as the new center of government and built a landmark Italianate building that remains in use as one of the state's oldest operating courthouses. The courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Courtesy Eastern California Museum
Slide Shows | Alphabetical List