Trinity County Courthouse
After an 1860 grand jury reported that "bedbugs had invaded the offices of the sheriff and the clerk, had defiled the records and in several instances had even attacked a judge on the bench," Trinity County supervisors began to consider moving from the old Weaverville courthouse, which was shared with the Masonic Lodge. In 1865, the county purchased this brick building that then housed offices, hotel rooms, and the Apollo Saloon, which boasted the first piano in the county. The courthouse is still in use and serves as a centerpiece of Weaverville's Historic District.
Courtesy Meriam Library, California State University, Chico, and the Hal Goodyear Collection
Slide Shows | Alphabetical List