Sutter County Courthouse
This courthouse is the third built on the same site in Yuba City. The first, built in 1858, was destroyed by fire in 1871. The cause of the disaster, according to one news report, was "mice gnawing the heads of matches left in the office." A second and larger courthouse, completed in 1873, was also set fire, this time by "a Cornishman who was in custody awaiting commitment to the Stockton asylum." The current courthouse is an elegant replica of the second, built in the Classical Revival style and largely preserved in its original state.
Courtesy Memorial Museum
Slide Shows | Alphabetical List