Madera County Courthouse
After Madera was created from the northern section of Fresno County in 1893, the first superior court was located on the upper floor of a drugstore while plans were made for a courthouse to be built of local granite. Just five years after the completion of the courthouse, a fire on Christmas Eve 1906 destroyed the upper floors and tower, which were quickly rebuilt. The courts and county offices moved out of the building in 1957, and it remained vacant until 1971, when it was renovated as the Madera County Historical Society Museum. The courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Courtesy California State Library
Slide Shows | Alphabetical List