San Luis Obispo County Courthouse
San Luis Obispo officials agreed to construct a new courthouse
after the district attorney pronounced the adobe used for county
business since 1851 "a marvel of repulsiveness, and the courtroom
with its wretched appointment a disgrace to the county."
This classic Greek Revival building (shown during a Fourth of
July celebration) was welcomed by new residents as a break from
the colonial past and became the center of the growing town. The
courthouse was demolished in 1940.
Courtesy San Luis Obispo Historical Museum and State Bar of