San Bernardino County Courthouse
After supervisors approved a $40,000 tax to construct a new Hall
of Records in the late 1880s, south county residents voted to
separate from San Bernardino and formed Riverside County in 1893.
Undeterred, San Bernardino supervisors approved another tax to
finance the construction of this Romanesque Revival building,
which was demolished in 1928 after the construction of the current
courthouse. The clock in this photo was removed and stored for
more than 40 years until it was reinstalled in a new tower a half
block from the site of the old courthouse.
Courtesy California State Library