Alameda's Victorian courthouse was built on Oakland's Washington
Square after the county seat was moved from Alvarado (part of
present-day Union City) to San Leandro and finally to Oakland.
The ornate brick building had fallen into disrepair by the mid-1920s
(judges called it a "vermin-infested menace to health and
records"). During heavy winter rains in its final years,
bailiffs held umbrellas over the bench to shield judges from leaks.
In 1936, a new county center on Lake Merritt replaced the old
courthouse, which county supervisors voted to demolish in 1949.
Courtesy Oakland Public Library